Featured Post

SpoilerFix is coming back!

Hello everyone, In the coming weeks, I'll be revamping and reviving SpoilerFix.com. My health is much better and my schedule allows me...

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Pilot Review "Canterbury's Law" (FOX)

Premise: This courtroom drama centers on rebellious defense attorney Elizabeth Canterbury , who's willing to bend the law in order to protect the wrongfully accused.

Starring: Ben Shenkman as Russell Cross, Julianna Margulies as Elizabeth Canterbury, Keith Robinson as Chester Fields, Linus Roache as Matthew Canterbury, Trieste Dunn as Molly McConnell.

Review: Before I write my comments about the pilot, I must admit that I was somewhat looking forward to this series because I liked Margulies during her stint on ER and was glad that a new series would start at a time when all networks would mostly air reruns and reality TV. My expectations weren't sky high but I did have some and none were met.

I know that the pilot I watched won't exactly be the one that will air on FOX but unless they totally rework it, I'm not sure I'll tune in. The pilot fails to properly introduce all characters. Yes, we do learn bits and pieces about Canterbury but because it's given to us in exactly that, bits and pieces, it's difficult to put everything together and properly understand who she is and who revolves around her. As for the other characters, if it wasn't for the Internet listing info about them, including their names, I couldn't name one because they come and go and aren't properly introduced.

Margulies does a fair job in her role but I'm not sure it's the type of role I want to see her in. She is able to play strong women but rebellious strong women does not suit her well. Maybe it's because I'm used to her playing Carol Hathaway.

The case of the week is interesting enough and the attorneys do everything they can (even lie) to win. However, because of the lack of proper direction when introducing the characters, this episode felt like episode 3 or 4 instead of a premiere.

If the show had premiered last fall (when writers' weren't about to go on strike and did), I'm not sure it would have stood a chance. However, because it'll air, as I've said before, at a time where nothing much new will be on, the show may stand a chance to air all its produced-before-the-strike-started episodes.

Canterbury's Law will premiere on Friday, April 11 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

2 comments:

  1. The final edit for 101 hasn't been locked... and Linus Roache was recast with Aidan Quinn... but your overall assesment is still pretty accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. That's why I said "I know that the pilot I watched won't exactly be the one that will air." Aidan Quinn will totally fit the role played by Linus Roache. I will probably tune in to the premiere just to see the changes.

    I usually give the pilots I review another chance, especially when I was on the fence or if I didn't like them because usually, what we see before hand is not what will air.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete